Pool Opening Checklist
Here are some tips to help you effectively open your pool and prepare it for a summer of family fun! If you need help, or if this is your first time, consider getting your Dazzle™ Certified Professional to open your pool.
- Drain water from top of the pool cover with a submersible pump and remove leaves and debris. Remove the cover from the pool. Minimize the water and/or debris that gets into the pool water. Some dirty water often manages to get in – don’t worry about it. Use Dazzle’s ™ Healthier Pool Opening Kit and Dazzle™ Prep Cleanse to detoxify and deep cleanse your pool in no time – and prevent algae.
TIP: You can fill the pool by placing your garden hose under the cover. This will raise the water level in the pool and make the removal of the cover a lot easier.
- Fill the pool to the halfway mark on your skimmer.
- Spread the pool cover and sweep or brush off any remaining debris. Clean your pool cover with EcoLogo™ certified Dazzle™ Cover Cleanse to extend its life.
- Properly fan-fold the cover and store it away where rodents can’t get access. Empty the water out of any water tubes you may have.
- Remove winterizing devices such as foam rope and Gizmos from the skimmer. Connect the pump and return lines (if required).
- Replace the skimmer basket and weir (a.k.a. flapper door). Check to see if any replacements are required (make a list).
- Remove the plugs from the return lines and replace the return fittings. Position the return fittings downward at a 33° to 45° angle in the same direction so your water flows in a circular motion.
TIP: Pool-grade antifreeze can go back into the water. Automotive antifreeze is toxic and should NEVER be used when winterizing a pool.
- Remove the plugs from pool equipment to drain the antifreeze. Inspect filter and pump for any damaged/worn parts (add to list).
- Replace plugs and pressure gauges.
- Hook up the pump, filter and any other additional equipment you might have (heater, spa equipment, waterfall circulation pumps, etc.).
TIP: Lubricate the pump “O” ring with a silicone lubricant. This will ensure a proper seal.
- Re-attach any deck equipment you have such as ladders, rails, diving boards, etc. Make sure to reconnect any grounding wires or straps that may have been attached to the metal parts.
TIP: Lubricate all bolts on the dive board, ladders and/or rails. This will prevent them from rusting over the summer making it easier on you for pool closing.
- Prime the pump as required. Turn on the power to the pool system. Start and check the system for leaks or drips. Check for proper flow. Backwash the filter thoroughly. If you did not deep cleanse your filter last fall, apply Dazzle™ Filter Cleanse.
- Apply the Dazzle™ Healthier Opening Kit to prepare your water for easy summer maintenance.
TIP: Run the system continuously for at least eight hours, but preferably 24 hours, before you bring your water test to Cannonball Pools for your professional Dazzle™ AquaAce computerized water test.
- Balance your pool water to recommended levels. There is a good reason for doing this – it saves you money and prevents future problems.
TIP: If your pool is green, see Cannonball Pools. We have products for easy clean-up and tips to prevent problems in the future.
If you have any other questions while opening your pool, feel free to give Cannonball Pools a call or pop into the store and we will be happy to help out. Or, simply call Cannonball Pools to schedule us to come and do a professional pool opening for you.